Energy Savings Tips
Go Green! What are you waiting For?
Now is always the right time to put money back into your wallet by saving on your energy bills. Put some of the following suggestions to work and get started saving!
Fast & Free
- Don’t block heating outlets with furniture or other objects.
- Close your window shades and drapes at night to help insulate against heat loss.
- Keep traditional fireplaces closed and the dampers shut when not in use.
- Shorten showers; cutting shower time in half can cut your water heating costs by 33%.
- Turn off all unnecessary appliances and lights. Keep them unplugged and put your computer and monitor to sleep.
- Start using energy saving settings on refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Insulate hot water pipes and ducts.
- Make sure your water heater has an insulating blanket.
- Install low flow showerheads, again saving on hot water expenses.
- Replace your furnace’s air filter before every heating season begins.
- Drain a quart of water from your water tank every 3 months to remove sediment that impedes heat transfer and lowers the efficiency of your heater. The type of water tank you have determines the steps to take, so follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- A programmable thermostat can save you up to 15% on your heating bill.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps.
- In warm climates, where summertime heat gain is an issue, look for windows with double glazing and spectrally selective coatings that reduce heat gain and keep your home cool.
- Avoid placing lamps or TV sets near your air conditioning thermostat. The thermostat senses heat from these appliances, which can cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary, increasing your energy bills.
- Plant trees or shrubs to shade air conditioning units but not to block the airflow. Place an in-room air conditioner on the north side of the house. A unit operating in the shade uses as much as 10% less electricity than the same one operating in the sun.
- Keep in mind that insulation and sealing air leaks will help your energy performance in the summertime by keeping the cool air inside.
- Keep the draperies and shades on your south facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from older, cold windows.
- You can cut your heating bill by up to 10% by resetting your programmable thermostat from 72 degrees to 65 degrees for eight hours a day (for example, while no one is home or while everyone is tucked in bed).
- Weatherize your home-caulk and weatherstrip any doors and windows that leak air. The average house–even when well-insulated–contains cracks and gaps between building materials that add up to a hole about 14 inches square.
Long Term Investments
- Only 20% of homes built before 1980 are efficiently insulated. Replace your windows and siding with high-efficiency windows and siding, which will reduce your heating and cooling costs significantly and pay for themselves in the long run.
- Purchase Energy Star qualified products and appliances for your home, especially if you have an older air conditioner. Purchasing a new, energy-efficient AC unit could save you up to 50% on your utility bill for cooling.
- When shopping for new appliances, make sure you understand how to read the EnergyGuide label – it’ll enable you to compare and contrast different models, enabling you to spend your money wisely on an appliance that will save you dollars.
Be a speedy chef
- Nothing is more energy efficient for cooking than your microwave. It uses two-thirds less energy than your stove.
- Surprise! Your dishwasher uses less water than washing dishes by hand. Then let dishes air-dry to save even more!
- Having lots of food in your fridge keeps it from warming up too fast when the door is open. So your fridge doesn’t have to work as hard to stay cool.
Cutting back unnecessary energy use is an easy way to reduce energy consumption while saving money. Here are some additional suggestions you can do at home, at absolutely no cost to you.
When turning on your air conditioner, don’t set your thermostat at a colder setting than normal. It will not cool your home any faster and could result in excessive cooling and, therefore, unnecessary expense.
Using ceiling or room fans allow you to set the thermostat higher because the air movement will cool the room. Typically, you’ll save 1-3% on your energy bill for every degree set above 72 degrees. But first always take into account health considerations and be sure to drink plenty of fluids in warm weather.
To help prevent electricity outages, avoid running your appliances during peak hours — from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — or anytime an electricity emergency is declared.
- Do your laundry efficiently by using the warm or cold water setting for washing your clothes. Always use cold water to rinse clothes. (Save: 4 percent)
- Line dry clothes whenever you can. (Save up to 5 percent)
- When you need to use the dryer, run full loads, use the moisture-sensing setting, and clean the clothes dryer lint trap after each use. (save: 0.5 percent)
- Conserve energy by running your dishwasher only when it is fully loaded, and turn off the dry cycle and air dry dishes instead. (save: 1 percent)
Energy saving testimonial
“I am sorry for not writing sooner, but I just want you to know what a great group of people you have working for your company. I am thrilled with my new windows and the siding on my home! I make sure I tell everyone that Power Windows and Siding was responsible, and they all agree how nice my home looks.
What has finally prompted me to write you though are the changes in my gas and electric bills! I didn’t think my utility bills would be that much lower (given the economy these days), but to tell you the truth, the only reason my bills could be so much lower than last year’s is because of your company, your product, and the expert installation given…!”
“I am thrilled with the new windows and siding on my home but the reason I decided to write a review of Power Windows is that my gas and electric bills have been drastically reduced. I didn’t think my utility bills would be that much lower but to tell you the truth the only reason my bills could be lower is because of the excellent products and installations. Everyone is professional, courteous, and cleanup was spectacular!”
“Getting my new windows was a very pleasant experience. First I must mention how profesional every one at Power Windows and Siding is, starting with Mark the person that gave us all the information we needed to make our purchasing decision. Another great thing was the follow through untill the day of the installation, the crew was awsome, they got to our home on time and completed the work in 1 day. I LOVE my new windows, I can already tell the difference on how cool my town house feels in this heat wave that we have been through. I am so happy with the service I will be getting a new front door in about 2 months. Wendy New Jersey”
“When the salesperson was giving me the presentation I really didn’t believe that a company could be so professional and thorough on a job like this and that any window would make such a big difference. I just kept telling myself that he was just trying very, very hard to sell me the windows. Well, I can’t begin to tell you how impressed I am with the great job the Power Windows and Siding crew did. They were very professional, always calling me by my last name; they cleaned up after themselves and left me with cleaned and shinning windows. The windows are just great! They really do keep the heat out and the cooled air in like the salesperson said they would. My air conditioner is actually shutting down because the house stays cooler for a longer period of time. The tilt-in and security features are just nice to have. The quality of the windows themselves is worth every penny you spend on them. You just have to see these windows; they are solid and smooth. I can’t believe I’m this excited about new windows. I’m glad I made the decision to buy my new windows from Power Windows and Siding.”
“I had 3 large windows installed in November 2009 by Power Windows and Siding. It was great not having to put up curtains and I was able to watch the snow fall this past winter. I just had an additional 5 windows installed and I’m expecting the same great experience from the first set. I’m looking forward to the electricity savings I’ll get from reduced running of my air conditioner and heater.”
“This was my first major renovation project to my home. I was first impressed by the courtesy of my sales person, Alex Goodman. He did not push me into making a decision, answered all my questions, and monitored my case until it was completed. The installation crews were very professional and took pride in their work. The quality of their work was also reflected by how often my neighbors would stop me to ask how wonderful my home looks. It is also reflected on the energy bills which are at least 35% less, even after one of hottest summers in my region. I also have been impressed by how responsive the staff at Power Window and Siding has been, from the financial, scheduling and planning, warranties, customer service representatives and walk through inspectors in making sure I was completely satisfied by their work. I definitely am a happy customer!”
“Because of the energy tax credit, I decided to have over half the windows in my house replaced with new energy efficient windows. The salesman was very thorough in his presentation and demonstration showing me how very heat/cold resistant the windows are as well as how very easy they are to operate and to clean–inside and out! The installation team was extremely knowledgeable, tidy and efficient. To date, I do see a definite savings on my energy bills and hope my business picks up enough to have the rest of my windows replaced as soon as possible! Also, I am pleased to note Power Windows and Siding’s community involvement carrying forward their commitment in helping to create a more sustainable global environment for the benefit of future generations.”
“We just completed our third project with Power Windows and Siding and we have been very satisfied with each project. The installation crews have all been very competent and professional. We sided our home 5 years ago and it has been an excellent product. We have had very prompt followup work for any minor problems at no extra expense. We have now put in 27 windows over the course of two years. It has made a significant difference in our heating and cooling costs. We feel good about making our home more energy efficient. It has been a good experience all the way.”
“I am very pleased with the whole experience with the windows we have purchased and had installed in our home. Even though it has been a short time I started to notice difference right away. the decrease in the heat coming through the windows was decreased. I could turn the AC setting up to 78. I also noticed the noise reduction the same night they were installed. All the personal I and my husband dealt with were kind and curtieous. Thank you for making the experience painless”
“The process from start to finish was a very pleasant one. The salesmen who visited answered every question we had and we learned a great deal about windows in general from the literature they provided as well as the demonstrations. We were told the job would take 1 to 2 days – and Pete, Julio, and Ed got it done in one!! They arrived around 8:30 and were pulling out of the driveway after cleaning up at 4:30. The actual installation went very smoothly – I had an idea of where I wanted them to begin work and they were 100% in agreement – beginning on the 2nd floor and working their way downstairs. We had 20 windows replaced without any issues (that I was aware of at least ). Pete, Julio, and Ed were extremely professional and courteous from the moment they stepped in the door through the time they completed the job which was the icing on the cake after getting out 20 great new windows! The windows themselves look awesome and makes the house from the outside look brand new. We had many double-hung windows as well as several smaller picture windows and a bay-window installed. Not having to pound the window and strain my shoulders just to open the windows as we had to with our archaic old windows is worth the investment in itself! We just had them installed a few days ago so I don’t have an energy savings figure yet, but I’m confident that the combination of the energy savings, much-added curb-appeal and of course the excellent quality window with transferable lifetime guarantee will have the windows paying for themselves and then-some. We have already had a neighbor notice the windows and after a rave review of the entire process and our opinion of the windows, she was going to call Power Windows and Siding to come out to her home. Thank you!”
If you are looking for replacement windows, vinyl siding, roofing, gutter protection or entry doors, please call us today at 888.REMODEL or complete our online form for a FREE Consultation.